Sustainability and Resiliency Statement
Sustainability and Resiliency
HDR is dedicated to reducing its environmental impact through sustainable practices for clients, employees and communities. Our Sustainability and Resiliency External Statement demonstrates our commitment to leadership, quality, safety and corporate responsibility through our services and actions.
We are committed to fostering a culture of sustainability built upon a foundation of the following principles:
- Compliance: Seek to adhere to all applicable environmental laws, regulations, and other requirements.
- Responsibility: Consider the environmental impact of our operations, products, and services in all decision-making processes.
- Advocacy: Work with our suppliers and clients to promote environmentally responsible practices in their operations.
- Education: Educate our employees, clients, and suppliers on environmental issues and encourage them to participate in our efforts.
- Innovation: Promote sustainable design principles and practices to conserve resources and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
To achieve our commitment to environmental sustainability, we take the following actions:
- Efficient and conscious travel: Encourage efficient and conscious travel methods and reduce employee travel.
- Waste resource management: Address issues of sustainability through waste resource management initiatives and purchasing environmentally efficient, recyclable, and bio-based products where available, and returning all-electronic equipment for reuse or recycling at its end of life.
- Operational resource reduction: Empower our offices to reduce resource use by providing reusable dishware, composting and recycling receptacles, programming printers to default to double-sided printing, and replacing office furniture with circular economy programs.
- Education and awareness: Encourage active participation in our environmental sustainability initiatives through educational and awareness-raising programs.
- Sustainable procurement: Influence our suppliers and contractors to support our environmental and sustainability practices when ordering, packaging, and shipping products.
- Client engagement: Encourage clients to adopt sustainable practices in their projects and provide sustainable design options via construction methods and materiality.
- Community involvement: Green our communities through volunteer employee time and pro bono services for environmentally focused organisations.
- Continuous improvement: Regularly review and evaluate our environmental policies and practices to ensure they remain relevant and practical.
- Employee engagement: Recruit teams across our offices to help drive sustainability initiatives and inform employees of alternative means of transportation when travelling for business away from home.
- Lead by Example: Conduct our office renovations with the care we apply to our project work, including, where applicable, LEED Certification, FitWel certification, and requiring contractors to divert 50% of waste associated with our office renovations, installing low-flow fixtures.
Chief Executive Officer
January 1, 2024