Westmead Hospital Redevelopment
Westmead Hospital Redevelopment
Reimagining How A Hospital Campus Connects to Its Community
The Westmead Hospital Redevelopment project redefines the entire Westmead Campus with unique connections between the Adult’s Hospital, the Children’s Hospital and the Research Precinct. More than a hospital, the new facility defines the community. As the largest tertiary hospital in western Sydney, the first truly integrated campus in the area, and a major trauma center for New South Wales, the redevelopment of the Westmead Health Precinct includes a new super-acute services building and comprehensive care center that will co-locate all complex and critical care services.
Connections are what make us — they support us, they help us grow, they manifest possibilities and open opportunities yet to be realized. Throughout the design process, this premise was top of mind and informed the design team’s thinking. From the architectural and landscape design to the clinical planning, and more broadly, to our approach to engagement with users and the community.
Masterplanning for Connectivity, Culture and Growth
The Central Acute Services Building is located centrally on the site between the existing Adult Hospital and the CHS. This decision optimizes shared clinical functionality. These two hospitals have been neighbors for 35 years and, for the first time, are genuinely integrated under the new masterplan.
Westmead is located within a network of strategic infrastructure options connecting the site over multiple layers including light rail connection and its position halfway between Sydney proper and the proposed Western Sydney Airport, and within close proximity to Parramatta — one of the fastest growing regions in New South Wales.
The masterplan strengthens the relationship between the hospitals within the precinct while maintaining a strong urban response and connection to the culture and history of the adjacent Paramatta Park and bounding Toongabbie Creek.
Westmead Hospital redevelopment is positioned to offer health services to meet a growing need under its current infrastructure delivery and through planned future expansion capacity to the CASB and existing hospitals.
KEY FEATURES OF WESTMEAD INCLUDE:
- As a brownfield site, the masterplan for the redevelopment has been redefined to establish a framework for the long-term expansion of services on the site to meet the health needs of the significant population growth to 2026.
- The project includes an innovative approach to the integration of Education, Training and Research directly onto the Clinical Platform.
- The design includes individual emergency departments for both adult and pediatric care.
- A majority of the patient rooms are single-occupancy, and the design maximizes natural light and views to Sydney CBD and Parramatta.
- Community members were involved in all stages of planning, including design workshops, service and programming discussions and testing simulations.
- 14 art projects are integrated across the site including paintings, photography, sculpture, digital media and events. The history and culture of the surrounding area informed each piece.
- Innovation Centre: A state of the art hub with over six levels supporting education and development of the latest clinical technologies and research with capacity for future development of biomedical services.