Great Plains Health
Great Plains Health
Tower Addition Features High-tech, Tranquil Experience
The new patient tower addition to Great Plains Health gives the hospital a new look and presents a new identity to the campus. The addition focuses on the physical and emotional well-being of patients and their families, as well as that of caregivers and staff. Using evidence-based design concepts, it is designed to offer a tranquil experience for visitors from the time they enter through the end of their visit.
The project included relocating and upgrading data systems. This facility was the first in the state to install the GetWell Network, an electronic interactive communication tool that allows patients to engage in their daily schedules, care plans, goals, pain assessment and care team. The GetWell Network is linked to Versus and Responder 5 systems, allowing all three to “talk” to one another. GPH is the only hospital in the country that has linked all three systems.
Key features of the new patient tower include:
- A healing environment offers acuity-adaptable rooms with distinct caregiver, patient and family zones and decentralized nursing stations.
- Drawing from the region’s natural elements, materials were selected to reflect Nebraska’s Sandhills and big blue sky. The building is scaled to fit naturally into its environment.
- Large windows on the patient rooms offer views to the Platte River and will bathe the interior with natural light to provide a warm and calming environment of care.
- Exterior materials like natural stone are used in the entrance lobby to blur the lines between the exterior and interior and to provide an inviting space for patients and families.
- The waiting areas include a library, coffee bar, a flat panel TV and a game area.
- A connection to nature will be felt throughout the campus addition, beginning with the entry garden that will provide access to the mental health entrance and a peaceful meditation area.
Two healing gardens outside of the new bed tower offer tranquil spaces to reflect and enjoy nature, while the new cafeteria opens to a comfortable outdoor dining plaza and meeting space.